ss_blog_claim=3b54df0ab0b481d43f242f703150aa8a

MY EXPERIENCES... MY LEARNINGS... MY THOUGHTS... MY OPINIONS... MY LIFE AS A STUDENT NURSE...

I ♥ PayPerPost!



I just ♥ PayPerPost! It's the best way to earn money online! I have never regretted joining and I get to post about topics that I want and review products that I trust and get paid to do it! Click the banners to join now! You won't regret it! I already earned around $100 in just 3 months! How cool is that?

Google

Friday, April 4, 2008

I Hate Smokers!

Honestly I think smokers have a disgusting habit and I guess you would know what that is right? SMOKING!

I don't know what is it with them that they want to die that much! There are so many reasons to quit and one reason is good enough to quit! So what are these reasons? Here they are:


  • CANCER! What kind of cancer? Adult Acute Leukemia, Adult Chronic Leukemia, Cervical Cancer, Esophagus Cancer, Laryngeal Cancer, Lung Cancer,
    Kidney Cancer, Oropharyngeal Cancer, Pancreas Cancer, Stomach Cancer, Urinary Bladder
  • CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES Stroke, aneurysms, high blood pressure, and other cardiovascular illnesses.

  • RESPIRATORY DISEASES Smoking is cited as a risk for dying of pneumonia, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema.

  • OTHER ILLNESSES:

    A report recently published in the American Journal of Epidemiology suggested that smoking increased the risk of developing non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) by more than three times.

    Studies have pointed to smoking as a risk in vision loss among older people, mental impairment later in life, Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

  • EFFECT ON PREGNANCY Pregnant women who smoke can pass nicotine and carbon monoxide to their baby through the placenta leading to fetal injury, premature birth, or low birth weight.
Still not convinced? Here are some fast fact from the FDA Fact Sheet:

> Number of deaths per year attributed to tobacco in the United States: 400,000 *.

> Number of deaths per hour: 45.

> Number of deaths due to:
Cardiovascular disease: Almost 180,000. *
Obstructive lung disease (chronic bronchitis and emphysema: 65,000 *.

> Risk for a smoker dying of lung cancer, compared to a never-smoker:
Male: 22 times
Female: 12 times

> Number of scientific studies on the health effects of tobacco, approximate: 50,000.

> Percentage of United States adults who smoked in 1993: 25 *

> Percentage in 1965: 42 *

> Number of years of life smoking costs the average smoker: 7 *

> Number of identified carcinogens in tobacco smoke: 43

> Estimated 1993 health care costs due to smoking, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: total $50 billion. This figure includes:
$26.9 billion for hospital costs
$15.5 billion for doctors
$4.9 billion in nursing home costs
$1.8 billion for prescription drugs
$900 million for home-health care expenditures

But what do I care if these smokers die? They want to die then let them die. But what's so disgusting with these kind of people is when they drag other people down with them to their graves. Who do they kill with them? The non-smoking people! Smokers are so shameless! Non-smokers have a 20 percent greater chance of death from coronary heart disease when they become secondary smokers or when they inhale smoke from smokers. Also non-smokers have a greater risk to have respiratory diseases and lung cancer because smoke particles that are inhaled cannot be expelled again unlike smokers.

And another important fact to know is that smoking by parents following the birth of babies is linked to sudden infant death syndrome, or cot death, and higher rates of infant respiratory illness, such as bronchitis, colds, and pneumonia.

So smokers are only liabilities in society! Billion of dollars are wasted on health care for them when they caused their own illness. These people also don't have any conscience as they kill other people.

Whenever a smoker smokes in public like the public transportation i never hold back on showing my great disgust and annoyance. if you want to die do it alone don't drag non-smokers with you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I used to be a smoker, and I used to be all for so called "smoker's right." I used to get defensive at people who said that smoker's are idiots and smoking is disgusting and iritating. I realized however, it is all those things. In 2008 we all know better, we know how deadly annd unhealthy and dangerous smoking is. Thirty years ago people were not as educated, before thirty years ago everyone smoked...it was as common as everyone owning a cell phone now. You could smoke in stores, hospitals..teacher's would smoke at their desks. However, that was before education and awareness. There is no excuse for modern day smokers and those who begin to smoke. If it was a personal health risk alone I would not care, but my issue is it costs BILLIONS to support the complications and problems that smoker's expereince later in life. It is also dangerous for those around you that choose NOT to smoke . Smokers are also some of the most self-rightous, inconsiderate people I know with a serious entitlement mentality. Nothing annoys me than at work...when the smokers get to go out every twenty to thirty minutes to take a smoke break while the rest of us are expected to stick to our one thirty minutes break we get in eight hours. We can't even use the restroom without notifying our co-workers where we are (ironcially I work in a busy trauma center, and a good percentage of MEDICALLY educated staff are smokers **rolls eyes in disbelief.)

When I say busy..that is a grave understatement. We can be slammed with patients up the wazoo, every room filled, we are on overflow and divert with ambulances blazing in and patients in the waiting are barfing their guts out or bleeding...and there is the parade of ER smokers going on their twenty to thirty minute privledges smoke break. And they are very apathetic and owed about it. There entire flaunt and mentality is like..."This is my right, I can go do it when I please, you can't say anythng."

I think smoking should be banned totally on ALL hospital campuses by state law...and it amazes me the health system I work for hasn't done that on a private level. It friggin' caters to smokers..even patients! I am a coffee addict..I admit it. On my way to work I have to get a Venti Iced Mocha from Starbucks...that is what I do. But when we are busy I don't just get to sit there and sip on it while chaos is unfolding around me. I am lucky if I get to it before it turns to watery ice and stale coffee!
Grrrrr...I could go on and on...but I am SO glad a close friend of mine opened my eyes to how nerve wrencing and offensive smoking and smokers are. Never again will I take up such a deplorable habit!

My Nurse's Notes: